Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Jesus and Religion

This past Sunday there was a discrepancy between the sermon title in the bulletin and the one on my sermon sheet. When I submitted the title for the bulletin back in October, it was “Why I like Jesus but not Religion”. By the time I got to write the sermon, I called the sermon, “Why I love Jesus and Hate Religion”. I think there is something here more than memory lost. I believe I may have just gotten more in touch with the emotions involved in this for me. The more you are in the fullness of God’s grace and feel the power of Christ in this world, like of Jesus easily grows to love. What passes for religion in the world people against a willingness to get close to God, the more disgust grows. The stakes of life are too high to be apathetic on this issue.

Life is short. Life is, at times, hard and painful. Life is intended for joy and all too often we settle for titillation, shallow intimacy and anemic celebrations. Jesus offers so much more, desires for us more and provides more. In the church, we have so much power to offer to the world. But when we offer ritual without meaning, organization without spirit or general fellowship without real friendship, people are not served and Christ is dishonored. The world is not interested in religion without power or meaning.

When we do share Jesus we find lives are changed, including ours. Unfortunately, we may feel the power of Christ but do not take the time to help others understand or gain the eyes to see his presence. We may be blind to the presence of Christ others discover and miss the chance to affirm the experience. But when we take the time to help others see Christ and see the Christ in them, Jesus is served and lives are changed. Those are amazing moments. When they happen, you can feel yourself growing in love with Christ. You can also become impatient and empty with anything less. I do love Jesus and I do hate religion. Mostly I hate religion when it is what I am offering to the world instead of Christ. Do you know what I mean?

No comments:

Post a Comment