Thursday, September 24, 2009

Surprised in Worship

Did you hear what happened at the 611 service on Sunday? It was the first time the newly formed youth band of our church led worship. They were fantastic!!! Not only did they sound great, their joy and passion for playing came through and touched us who were worshipping.
Also, Greg Martin pulled a fast one on me. The theme for this opening series is mentoring. Earlier this summer Greg asked if I would be willing to be interviewed in worship on this past Sunday and talk about those who mentored me in my young faith. The first was my home town pastor Dalton Bishop. He took time to listen to me, befriend me and help me discover the call of Christ in my life. It was under his guidance I was able also to hear the call of God for me to enter full time ministry.
The second was Jerry Stewardson. Jerry was Professor of Religion at Adrian College. He was the one who invited me to visit a Wesley Fellowship meeting on campus. He was the advisor and when you are a freshman it makes a difference when someone notices you and invites you anywhere. Jerry quickly became my favorite professor, though he was hard as nails on all of us. He invited me into his home and his family became my second family. Jerry encouraged me, supported me, and pushed me. He deepened my faith and prepared me for the next step on my path, seminary.
I spent a few minutes telling those at 611 about Jerry last Sunday. At the end, Greg was supposed to wrap up the message. Instead, he said: “We have heard from Rick about the influence Jerry Stewardson had on his life. Now let’s hear the other side of the story.” To my great and total surprise, Jerry came in from the back of the room. He came up front, embraced me and then Greg talked with him about being a mentor to me. I was totally blown away!
Sometimes worship is anticipated, expected and normal. Those moments may seem boring to some and offer comfort and security to others. There are other moments though, when a moment in worship takes you by surprise. Moments when you are blown away in a way you do not expect. It may be a song or hymn moving you to tears. It may be a thought in a sermon making you think about something in a new way. It may be a prayer that touches and changes you heart. Those moments of surprise are precious. When was the last time you were surprised by God in worship?

No comments:

Post a Comment