Monday, October 12, 2009

Moving Forward

The Five Practices weeks have come to a conclusion.  I hope they were a blessing to you personally and to the congregation as a whole.  Certainly we have had the chance to reflect on the strengths of our ministry and critique the places we need to improve.  The conversations in the study groups, hall ways, and on the web have been a great exchange of ideas and questions.  The question I am hearing now the most is a simple one, Now what?  The implication is this ministry is getting ready for a next step.  This next step is not about an individual program, ministry area or project.  It is the next step of direction for us affecting all we do and all we will serve.  I have been asking the What next question also.  I have been in prayer and reflection to know the next step we will take as a congregation. 

 

At the Church Conference, (Sunday, November 8 at 6:15 p.m.), I will be sharing what I have come to believe the next steps are for us.  I offer my answer as a call for us to come together and engage in intentional discernment leading to congregational focus and action.  Certainly, God has been preparing us for mission and witness in this community.  We are a fruitful congregation.  My years on the farm taught me though if you keep a garden the same year after year, you lose vitality and produce.  For the greatest harvest and best produce, you have to be willing to plow up, rotate and plant new crops.  Vital ministry is the same way.  I look forward to sharing with you in November my calling for the next steps.  I ask for your prayer support and listening souls to hear God’s calling and observe God’s preparation in our midst for harvests to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment