Monday, January 24, 2011

Heaven and Hell

Okay, so I missed yesterday in worship. Since the topic was prayer I assume enough were praying for Amy to preach instead of me. Great credit to Amy since I called her near 10 pm on a Saturday night to alert her I would not be able to preach because of the flu. No surprise that she did well. Thanks Amy!!!

Heaven and Hell is our topic for this week. I wonder how much people spend thinking about either anymore. I have rarely preached on these topics. The faith focus for me is on the relationship with Jesus Christ in the here and now. If we are in relationship with Christ in this life, then I do not worry about the next.

For many of us, hell has become the description of the worst of life. Hell is when human suffering is at its worst. But does it have an afterlife? Is there any sense of hell in a world to come that affects how you live your life today? Or was that ever the point? It would be great to hear your thoughts and questions on heaven and hell. I will get the rest of my strength back today and reflect more tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. I grew up in a church where "hell fire & damnation" sermons and teaching were part of the culture. It was always frightening. As my relationship with Christ became stronger I realized it's not about hell or punishment. Jesus has taken care of it already. I'm not an expert on what the scriptures say about hell, but it certainly sounds horrible: fire and brimstone, uncross able gulf, separation from God. I think the latter - separation from God - can be hell on earth. Paul told us nothing can separate us from the love of God, but we can separate ourselves from his presence. Afraid of hell, either on earth or the afterlife? Don't be. It's solved through Christ. Focus on Heaven, here on earth and the afterlife, and we'll always be close to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too grew up in a church with lots of discussion of people going to hell. I don't think about it much anymore. I don't think much about heaven either, but I know some of my loved ones are there. I sometimes think of my dad singing in heaven's choir and how happy he must be. I am certain that heaven exists and I believe that through Christ I will be there some day. I don't know what it will be but since God has helped me so much in this world, I feel condfident that the next will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left Sunday with one nagging question if I connect God with heaven, what about Satan? His existence is named in the Bible what role does he play if any in a Hell?

    ReplyDelete