Friday, January 28, 2011

Driving Down 1-75

Don't let the title fool you. I am not currently driving down the highway. But I was at 5;30 this am headed to the hospital. One of our members is having surgery today. As I entered the on ramp, it was evident many others were headed out on in the early morning. I assume most were headed to work. As I drove, I thought about the other drivers and wondered what their morning was like. Were they alert and already filled with thoughts of the day to come? Were they bleary eyed and driving on auto pilot as they retraced their daily route? Had this been a normal week for them or had out of the ordinary events impacted thier lives?

There was no way to tell the answer to those questions. As we all headed in the same direction, we were alone in the quiet caves we guided down the road. In the dark, we could think our own thoughts, listen to the radio or audio book and be oblivious to each other. As long as stayed in our lanes, we could all travel along, alone and unaware of the human theater of life ocurring in the cars around us.

I assumed not many, if any, of those anonymous traveling companions were thinking about heaven or hell. They may have used those words to describe specific events in the past week. But few probably were thinking they were, we were, we all are headed into a future where heaven and hell will be encountered. Some think about this as final destinations. Some as descriptions of the best and worst of life. Some think of heaven and hell as indications of the closeness or estrangement we have from God. Some are not so sure.

No matter our definition, heaven and hell are a part of our past and our future. Perhaps you feel like you are in one or the other right now. The question is, whatever you call heaven or hell...what are you doing right now to prepare for them? What are you doing to increase which you will experience? This morning one thing was certain. The quiet warm drive eventually would have to come to a stop. We would have to get out and enter a day filled with many unknowns. There may be moments of heaven or hell to come. May God make us ready and guide us through it all.

1 comment:

  1. Am I thinking toooo much on what I need to do to get picked for heaven? Am I like the eldest prodigal son who thinks I am doing everything right so I can be His favorite? I cannot describe Heaven. How do all those people fit in there? How old are they? How will I find them (understanding that I will wind up there)? Will I just walk around or will I have a job to do? Will I see and/or talk with Christ? If I screw up will I get kicked out? What about Hell? How hot can it really get?
    Those are just a few questions burning my brain. For right now I know one thing for certain. I would rather wind up in Heaven then sit it out in Hell. Maybe that is good enough for now.
    Jeff S.

    ReplyDelete