Thursday, January 13, 2011

Thinking about Jesus

The questions we have about Jesus fall in several categories.

We wonder about the parts of his life we have no information on. What was he like as a child?
What kind of friend was he as an adolecent? Traditons tells us he began his ministry at the age of thirty. That was a mature adult in his day. What was he doing before he began ministry?

We wonder about the things we do know about him but do not understand. Much of what he said leaves us with more questions. In practical terms, how long must we really forgive, turn the other cheek, and pray for miracles? What did he mean when he said, "I am the way.....no one comes to the Father but by me'?

We wonder if what the Gospels say about him is really true? Did he really heal people? If so then, why not now? Could he really feed 5000 with so little or is this a metaphor? Did he know where the stumps were or could he walk on water? Did he reallly come to life after he died? Is resurrection real? Can I just believe he was a good man who did many things worth admiring and trying to do in my life?

Finally, how can I sort out what I think I know about Jesus as opposed to what others say about him? Can I really know him personally? What does that even mean? If my life is basically doing okay or if I am in great need, what difference does his life hold for me?

These are a few questions......which one of these do you wonder about? What others do you have about Jesus? Or what conclusions have you come to as you have struggled with your questions?

2 comments:

  1. In my childhood, believeing in Jesus was simple and clear. But as I reached my teens and young adult years, the question of who in this vast world can go to heaven caused lots of doubts about Jesus as the one and only savior. Over the years, I have worked to let go of this issue and trust in a mericiful and loving God and focus on my personal relationship to Jesus but still the doubts creep in at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John 14:6 - No one comes to the Father except through me.
    I know all are loved children of God, but this is a puzzling concept - what is the effect on those who have not heard of Jesus? what is the effect on those who choose to believe in God without the divine Jesus? are their prayers heard?
    bkd

    ReplyDelete