Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Prayer is...

This Sunday the sermon title reflects the theme of the week, "Prayer is...". We often complete that phrase in relation to our latest experiences of prayer. For example.....Prayer is....
talking with God...
closing my eyes and saying words...
trying to tell God what to do...
giving God my wish list...
listening for God's voice...
sharing in an intimate moment with others...
something I do on my own...
a waste of my time....
the most precious moment of my day...
something I do in the morning, evening, rarely, when I need it, when there is nothing else.....

The completion of the phrase varies from person to person and expereince to experience. The complexity of prayer is often not helped by the small amount of time we spend in teaching and learning how to pray. I have never understood why believers spend so little time learning how to pray. It does not surprise me we have so many questions about it. We naturally have many questions about things we have never learned or deeply experienced.

What is prayer for you? What was the best (most helpful or meaningful) teaching you ever had about prayer? What remains your greatest struggle?

1 comment:

  1. Prayer is an on-going conversation with God, never often enough. Prayer is being in communion with Christians. Prayer is how I live my life.
    I know I am to leave my issues with Him, but that does not feel right - to say - Here, God, it is out of my hands and in yours. I believe He is equipping me and walking with me in "living" life, whether that means being active or passive in accepting each day's challenges. Prayer changes me to help me focus on that which I feel He wants me to focus - if I can keep my own desires out of it. Prayer has differing effects - it can greatly uplift me or not. At times I am weighed down by cares of myself, family, friends and the world beyond. But, even with that, it is amazing to me that I have this wonderful way of living - to know His constancy. Listening is the most difficult part of the equation, requires my sharp attention at a deeper level and is my greatest struggle.
    bkd

    ReplyDelete